Kafka >> mail # user >> Re: New Consumer API discussion

Re: New Consumer API discussion
Hi Imran,

1. I think choosing between a) and b) is really dependent on the consuming
traffic. We decided to make the consumer client single-threaded and let
users to decide using one or multiple clients based on traffic mainly
because with a multi-thread client, the fetcher thread could die silently
while the user thread still works and gets blocked forever.

2. Yes. If the subcription is a list of topics, which means it relies on
Kafka to assign partitions, then the first pool will trigger the group
management protocol and upon receiving the partitions the callback function
will be executed.

3. The wiki page (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+0.9+Consumer+Rewrite+Design)
have some example usages of the new consumer API (there might be some minor
function signature differences with the javadoc). Would you want to take a
look at give some thoughts about that?

Guozhang