Kafka, mail # user - Metadata API returns localhost.localdomain for one of the brokers in EC2 - 2013-10-03, 06:58

Metadata API returns localhost.localdomain for one of the brokers in EC2
I have installed 2 brokers on EC2. I also have a (scala) application that
receives data stream and pushes to kafka cluster. By co-incidence, a
(slightly heavier) EC2 instance is running both a kafka broker and the data
receiver application. I am noticing that all data receiver application
nodes that are not on the shared kafka + reciever app EC2 instance are
complaining for connect errors to localhost.localdomain:9092. Is this a
possible bug that results in Kafka detecting instance hostname
as localhost.localdomain instead of actual hostname?

Also, how do I fix this temporarily until a permanent fix is available?