Kafka >> mail # user >> auto-delete empty, old topics?

Re: auto-delete empty, old topics?
We plan to include support for deleting topics before the official release.
The JIRA tracking this feature is

This is mainly an admin tool and is proposed to be run manually. I think
your suggestion is to set some sort of expiration time on topics so when
all data gets garbage collected and the expiration time lapses, the topic
is automatically deleted.

For this expiration to work, we need some mechanism of knowing the size of
the data logs for that topic on all brokers. And only when its empty for
all partitions of that topic, we delete it. This requires some API that
will expose the data size of a topic on a broker, which we don't have right
now. It might be worth thinking about it. Do you mind posting your
suggestions for this tool on that JIRA ?

Thanks,
Neha