Kafka, mail # user - JMX connections timing out in EC2 in Kafka 0.8 - 2013-10-03, 15:17

JMX connections timing out in EC2 in Kafka 0.8
I don't think this issue is related to Kafka at all but I just wanted to
try my luck in this user mailing list just in case people have run into
similar issues. I am trying to enable JMX monitoring in Kafka running on
EC2 by setting the JMX_PORT variable to 1099. Once Kafka is done booting, I
am able to monitor Kafka from a client running on the same instance,
however the JMS client gives java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed
out exception when attempting to connect from another instance (also an EC2
instance in the same VPC). I have checked the firewall rules and the port
1099 is enabled. Has anyone else ran into similar issues? Suggestions
please.