Kafka >> mail # user >> unused topic gets deleted?

unused topic gets deleted?
Hello,

I have been playing with kafka producer and consumer. I have created
different topics at different times with different replica and partition
options.

After 7 days of un-use, list-topics script does not list the unused topic.
However, I can see the log and index files for such topic partitions still
exist on the file system.

If I publish to such a topic, since auto.create.topics.enable=true, a new
topic is created with default partition=1 since num.partitions=1 and no
replication.
This seems like a bug to me. I expect the the old messages may be purged as
per property setting for log retention, however the topic should still
exist and remember its original configuration for # of partitions and
replication. How does it work behind the scenes?

Thanks,
Priya