Kafka >> mail # dev >> versionId in responses (and general API versioning questions)

+
David Arthur 2013-02-13, 20:49
+
Jay Kreps 2013-02-13, 21:08
+
David Arthur 2013-02-14, 00:41
Re: versionId in responses (and general API versioning questions)
I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-759 to remove
versionId as discussed

On 2/13/13 7:40 PM, David Arthur wrote:
> On 2/13/13 4:08 PM, Jay Kreps wrote:
>> Hey David,
>>
>> We ended up not versioning the response, instead the version must
>> correspond to the request version.
>>
>> This makes sense from the client point of view. If you send a request
>> using version X of the protocol you know you will get a response in
>> format X. Separately versioning the response would seem to indicate
>> that the server is allowed to send back a different version of the
>> response. This means the client has to check this and handle old
>> response versions (and what would it even do with newer versions?).
> This makes complete sense. I was confused since OffsetCommit/Fetch are
> including it in the responses
>> Instead we thought it makes more sense to make the server deal with
>> compatibility only. So the versioning is at the request/response pair
>> and the server is required to always send the correct version of the
>> response for all supported request versions.
>>
>> I just noticed that your responses for the offset apis actually have a
>> version. We should probably remove that before the release.
> Yea, agreed.
>>
>> -Jay
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM, David Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Just noticed that most of the API response structs do not include the
>>> ApiVersion. This will make it hard for clients to determine how to
>>> handle
>>> inevitable).
>>>
>>> I'd propose we update the standard response envelope to include it
>>>
>>> Response => ApiVersion CorrelationId ResponseMessage
>>>    ApiVersion => int16
>>>    CorrelationId => int32
>>>    ResponseMessage => ...
>>>
>>> Otherwise, it seems we must freeze the response formats forever.
>>>
>>> Another thought is that the server should return the same version of
>>> the API
>>> that was requested (if a client sends in v1, then presumably it does
>>> know
>>> about any future versions...). How will this work? This seems to imply
>>> backwards compat for the APIs like Avro.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> -David

+
Jay Kreps 2013-02-19, 19:36