Kafka >> mail # user >> OffsetOutOfRangeException and getOffsetsBefore

+
Sining Ma 2013-05-24, 18:29
+
Suyog Rao 2013-05-24, 20:32
Re: OffsetOutOfRangeException and getOffsetsBefore
Thanks Suyog
Could you explain more about OffsetRequest?
I find new
OffsetRequest(topic: String, partition: Int, time: Long, maxNumOffsets: Int)
in Kafka api.
How can I send this request? And where can I receive a response from this OffsetRequest?
Could you give me an example for this API?

-- Regards
   Sining Ma

-----Original Message-----
From: Suyog Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Fri, May 24, 2013 1:32 pm
Subject: Re: OffsetOutOfRangeException and getOffsetsBefore
Since you are using the simple consumer you will need to handle the
OffsetOutOfRange Exception in your code. This happens when your consumer queries
for an offset which is no longer persisted in Kafka (The logs have been deleted
based on the retention policy). Ideally when this happens, the consumer should
issue an OffsetRequest to get the latest/earliest offset currently available on
the server. You can then use this in your FetchRequest. Whether you use the
latest or earliest depends on your application needs. In essence, you are
resetting the consumer to catch up with the server.

On May 24, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Sining Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> We are currently using kafka-0.7.1 right now.
> I have two questions:
> 1. We use SimpleConsumer to aggregate messages to log files and there is no
zookeeper. Sometimes we can see kafka.common.OffsetOutOfRangeException.
> And this exception happens when we start our consumer program. We do not know
the reason why this happens.
> How can I get a valid latest message offset in kafka-0.7.1 when this exception
happens?
> 2. Before we start consumer, we call getOffsetsBefore function to get a list
of valid offsets (up to maxSize) before the given time.
> How can we interpret this list?
> For example, this function returns an array [offset1, offset2].
> Does this mean from offset1 to offset2 are valid, and offset2 to current
offset are valid? We are confused about the meaning of this array.

> -- Regards
>   Sining Ma

+
Suyog Rao 2013-05-24, 21:40