Kafka, mail # user - Re: Message latency - 2014-02-04, 21:27
Re: Message latency
There are two definitions of latency:
1. How long before the writer gets an acknowledgement for their write. This
depends on the acks setting the producer has as Guozhang says. If acks = 1
we wait just on the leader, if acks=-1 we wait on all "in sync" brokers
(i.e. alive brokers).
2. How long before the consumer gets the message. This always blocks on
full acknowledgement by "in sync" brokers.

So both can be dependent on the latency of the followers, however if a
followers falls behind it will be removed from the in sync set, so there is
a bound.

-Jay