Kafka >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 3

+
Joe Stein 2013-11-08, 20:56
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-08, 23:30
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-09, 04:53
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-11-09, 22:00
+
David Arthur 2013-11-11, 15:07
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-13, 19:37
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-04, 01:56
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-07, 19:29
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-08, 00:26
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-05, 15:15
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-11-06, 17:16
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-25, 20:37
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-26, 21:15
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-26, 21:24
+
Joe Stein 2013-11-26, 22:34
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-27, 18:24
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-27, 19:36
Re: [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 5
Seems like most people are verifying the src, so I'll pick on the
binaries and Maven stuff ;)

A few problems I see:

There are some vestigial Git files in the src download: an empty .git
and .gitignore

In the source download, I see the SBT license in LICENSE which seems
correct (since we distribute an SBT binary), but in the binary download
I see the same license. Don't we need the Scala license
(http://www.scala-lang.org/license.html) in the binary distribution?

I create a simple Ant+Ivy project to test resolving the artifacts
published to Apache staging repo: https://github.com/mumrah/kafka-ivy.
This will fetch Kafka libs from the Apache staging area and other things
from Maven Central. It will fetch the jars into lib/ivy/{conf} and
generate a report of the dependencies, conflicts, and licenses into
ivy-report. Notice I had to add three exclusions to get things working.
Maybe we should add these to our pom?

I think I'll have to -1 the release due to the missing Scala license in
the binary dist. We should check the other licenses as well (see
ivy-report from my little Ant project).

-David

On 11/26/13 5:34 PM, Joe Stein wrote:
> This is the fifth candidate for release of Apache Kafka 0.8.0.   This
> release candidate is now built from JDK 6 as RC4 was built with JDK 7.
>
> Release Notes for the 0.8.0 release
> http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.8.0-candidate5/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>
> *** Please download, test and vote by Monday December, 2nd, 12pm PDT
>
> Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/kafka/KEYS in addition to the md5 and sha1
> checksum
>
> * Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
> http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.8.0-candidate5/
>
> * Maven artifacts to be voted upon prior to release:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/
>
> (i.e. in sbt land this can be added to the build.sbt to use Kafka
> resolvers += "Apache Staging" at "
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/"
> libraryDependencies += "org.apache.kafka" % "kafka_2.10" % "0.8.0"
> )
>
> * The tag to be voted upon (off the 0.8 branch) is the 0.8.0 tag
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=2c20a71a010659e25af075a024cbd692c87d4c89

>   Joe Stein
>   Founder, Principal Consultant
>   Big Data Open Source Security LLC