Kafka, mail # user - Re: large amount of disk space freed on restart - 2013-09-09, 17:48

Re: large amount of disk space freed on restart
This could certainly be done. It would be slightly involved since you would
need to implement some kind of file-handle cache for both indexes and log
files and re-open them on demand when a read occurs. If someone wants to
take a shot at this, the first step would be to get a design wiki in place
on how this would work. This is potentially nice to reduce the open file
count (though open files are pretty cheap).

That said this issue only impacts xfs and it seems to be fixed by that
setting jonathan found. I wonder if you could give that a try and see if it
works for you too? I feel dealing with closed files does add a lot of
complexity so if there is an easy fix I would probably rather avoid it.

-Jay