Kafka >> mail # user >> testing issue with reliable sending

Re: testing issue with reliable sending
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Neha Narkhede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Does the
> leader just wait for the followers in the ISR to consume?
>
> That's right. Until that is done, the producer does not get an ack back. It
> has an option of retrying if the previous request times out or fails.

Ok, so if I initiate a controlled shutdown, in which all partitions that a
shutting down broker is leader of get transferred to another broker, why
can't part of that controlled transfer of leadership include ISR
synchronization, such that no data is lost?  Is there a fundamental reason
why that is not possible?  Is it it worth filing a Jira for a feature
request?  Or is it technically not possible?

I'm ok with losing data in this case during a hard-shutdown, but for a
controlled shutdown, I'm wondering if there's at least a best effort
attempt to be made to sync all writes to the ISR.

Jason