Home | About | Sematext search-lucene.com search-hadoop.com search-devops.com

Kafka >> mail # dev >> versionId in responses (and general API versioning questions)

Re: versionId in responses (and general API versioning questions)
Hey David,

We ended up not versioning the response, instead the version must
correspond to the request version.

This makes sense from the client point of view. If you send a request
using version X of the protocol you know you will get a response in
format X. Separately versioning the response would seem to indicate
that the server is allowed to send back a different version of the
response. This means the client has to check this and handle old
response versions (and what would it even do with newer versions?).
Instead we thought it makes more sense to make the server deal with
compatibility only. So the versioning is at the request/response pair
and the server is required to always send the correct version of the
response for all supported request versions.

I just noticed that your responses for the offset apis actually have a
version. We should probably remove that before the release.

-Jay