Kafka >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 3

+
Joe Stein 2013-11-08, 20:56
+
Joel Koshy 2013-11-08, 23:30
+
Jun Rao 2013-11-09, 04:53
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-11-09, 22:00
Re: [VOTE] Apache Kafka Release 0.8.0 - Candidate 3
+0 overall. The quality of the build seems good, but I have a few minor
nits/questions.

1) java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError in
./bin/kafka-simple-consumer-perf-test.sh

$ ./bin/kafka-simple-consumer-perf-test.sh
kafka/perf/SimpleConsumerPerformance
kafka.perf.SimpleConsumerPerformance

looks like the perf classes are not included. Maybe this script should
be removed? Or we should include the perf sub-project.

2) No README or INSTALL in the binary dist

3) Missing LICENSE and NOTICE at the top level, aren't these required
for an Apache release?

4) Artifact name - not sure on Apache's policy, but should it be
"apache-kafka"?

Regarding the actual build, I started up with the bin script, produced a
few messages, consumed a few, and then ran the integration tests from
kafka-python against it. Everything seems good here.

-David

On 11/8/13 3:56 PM, Joe Stein wrote:
> This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 0.8.0.   This
> release candidate artifacts changed in regards to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1126 along with updating the
> release notes to only have resolved - fixed issues and the KEY file to
> verify signature again for this vote to be the latest link.
>
> Release Notes for the 0.8.0 release
> http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.8.0-candidate3/RELEASE_NOTES.html
>
> *** Please download, test and vote by Wednesday November, 13th, 12pm PDT
>
> Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/kafka/KEYS in addition to the md5 and sha1
> checksum
>
> * Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
> http://people.apache.org/~joestein/kafka-0.8.0-candidate3/
>
> * Maven artifacts to be voted upon prior to release:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/
>
> (i.e. in sbt land this can be added to the build.sbt to use Kafka
> resolvers += "Apache Staging" at "
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/"
> libraryDependencies += "org.apache.kafka" % "kafka_2.10" % "0.8.0"
> )
>
> * The tag to be voted upon (off the 0.8 branch) is the 0.8.0 tag
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=bc24fb7c0f48c36bf9073d384eb87213644648d4

>   Joe Stein
>   Founder, Principal Consultant
>   Big Data Open Source Security LLC