Kafka >> mail # user >> Re: Changing the number of partitions after a topic is created

Re: Changing the number of partitions after a topic is created
Hi Neha,

If we set auto.create.topics.enable = true and update num.partitions. New
topic get right number of partitions. But existing topics continue to use
whatever num.partitions set before. I am asking about the tool that allow
existing topic to use updated number of partitions.

Thanks,
Raja.
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Neha Narkhede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Hi Rajasekar,
>
> I'm not sure I fully understood your question. Are you asking about a tool
> that can increase the number of partitions for a topic?
>
> Thanks,
> Neha
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Rajasekar Elango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Jun,
> >
> > It's been some time since you last post, is this patch available now.
> Also
> > we are doing following manual steps to update existing topic to use new
> > partitions.
> >
> > 1) stop all zookeepers
> > 2) stop all kafka brokers
> > 3) clean data dir or zookeepers and kafka
> > 4) start zookeepers and kafka.
> >
> > This involves both downtime and loosing data. Is there a better way to
> > update existing topics to use new partitions until patch is available..?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Raja.

Raja.