Kafka >> mail # user >> Kafka 0.8 producer within Play Framework?

Kafka 0.8 producer within Play Framework?
Is it possible to have a Kafka 0.8 producer inside a Play Framework
controller?  (I am new to both Kafka and Play.)

I have managed to get Java code cribbed from the Kafka examples
(below) to compile and execute within Play, but constructing the
ProducerConfig object never returns.  I am not finding anything in any
Play log.

I've also tried this using the Scala console producer as a model and
had the same result

The Kafka console producer and consumer samples are working for me.

Thanks
Charlie

code:
package controllers;

import java.util.Properties;

import kafka.producer.ProducerConfig;
import kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer;
import kafka.producer.KeyedMessage;

public class Hello
{
   public static void hello( String v )
   {
      Properties props = new Properties();
      props.put("zk.connect", "127.0.0.1:2181");
      props.put("serializer.class", "kafka.serializer.StringEncoder");
      props.put("broker.list", "localhost:9092" );

      play.Logger.info("create config");
      ProducerConfig config = new ProducerConfig(props);

      play.Logger.info("create producer");
      Producer<Integer, String> producer = new Producer<Integer,
String>(config);

      play.Logger.info("yay!");

      KeyedMessage msg = new KeyedMessage<Integer,
String>("test-topic", "Greetings!");

      producer.send( msg );
   }
}