Kafka, mail # user - Re: large amount of disk space freed on restart - 2013-07-14, 08:37
Solr & Elasticsearch trainings in New York & San Fransisco [more info][hide]

Jason Rosenberg 2013-07-26, 07:43
+
Jay Kreps 2013-07-26, 16:46
+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-07-26, 21:00
+
Jay Kreps 2013-07-26, 21:03
Re: large amount of disk space freed on restart
An update on this.  It appears that the phenomenon I'm seeing is that disk
space is freed on restart, but it's not due files getting deleted on
restart, but instead files are getting truncated on restart.  It appears
that log files get pre-allocated to a larger size than is used right away.
 Upon restart, they get truncated to the size of the file that actually
contains data.  Does this make sense?

Before restart, I see a large number of log files size 2.1Gb.  Upon
restart, the disk space reclaimed drops to almost half that, on average.

Thoughts?

Jason