Kafka, mail # user - Re: Analysis of producer performance - 2013-04-12, 00:46

Re: Analysis of producer performance
Jun,

When talking about "catastrophic consequences" I was actually only
referring to the producer side. in our use case (logging requests from
webapp servers), a spike in traffic would force us to either tolerate a
dramatic increase in the response time, or drop messages, both of which are
really undesirable. Hence the need to absorb spikes with some system on top
of Kafka, unless the spooling feature mentioned by Wing (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-156) is implemented. This is
assuming there are a lot more producer machines than broker nodes, so each
producer would absorb a small part of the extra load from the spike.

Piotr