Kafka, mail # user - consumer partition rebalancing

Re: consumer partition rebalancing
Kam Kasravi 2013-09-11, 17:09
Thanks Joel. Just to be sure - SimpleConsumer (or an IntermediateConsumer as suggested below) does not join in partition rebalancing when another consumer in it's group joins or a new broker joins or a new topic is created?
________________________________
 From: Joel Koshy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Kam Kasravi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: consumer partition rebalancing

>         * Assuming 1) theconsumerdoesn'tcontrolthe partition allocation within a topic and 2) theconstraintthat a single consumer C(i) within a consumer group C(g) must be the only reader of that partition:
>         * Are there ways to scale partition consumption if C(i) cannot keep up?

To some degree - by either reducing the number of streams that C(i) is
configured with; or by removing it altogether.

>         * A way to designate particular consumers should consume particular partitions based on consumer capability (similar to container allocation in YARN)?
>         * A way to designate sticky consumer / partition allocation so that a new consumer C(j) or new broker B(k) or new topic T(l) does not cause C(i) to lose particular partitions during rebalancing?

Right now, no. I think what you may be effectively suggesting is to
support some form of pluggable logic for partition ownership which
should work as long as it is consistent across all consumer instances.
However, a designated assignment list could be achieved by using
SimpleConsumer - although you would then need to write a little code
to react to leader changes. (We currently don't have a
intermediate-level consumer - i.e., a consumer that can be designated
to consume from a given partition and automatically react to leader
changes.)

Joel