Kafka, mail # user - Re: Node-Kafka Client Review and Question - 2013-04-24, 21:03

Re: Node-Kafka Client Review and Question
We did an examination of the tagged branch but the version was 0.1.7 and its been static for over a year now. I will say that the Node-Kafka (v2.3) producer has been stable however. A previous thread concerning Node-Kafka client development revealed that a C library will be out for 0.8, supporting more stable library client development (hint hint too ;-)

Unfortunately, we are moving rapidly with what works now to get our platform to an MVP state. Hopefully, there won't be too much refactoring when the next gen Node-Kafka client is complete. :(

Chris

From: "Taylor Gautier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:39:24 PM
Subject: Re: Node-Kafka Client Review and Question

This implementation is what I worked on while at Tagged, which was forked
from Marcus' version, but I don't think it ever merged back to Marcus':

https://github.com/tagged/node-kafka

It was in production for about a year when I left Tagged about 6 months
ago.  I know that there were some internal fixes that never made it back
out.  I think the version that is public is pretty stable, but it's hard
for me to know since I am no longer at Tagged and don't have access to the
internal repos to know for sure what fixes are still private and which have
been published back.

That said, I think you should definitely give this version a shot first
before moving on.

Finally, if I were to do it all over again, with about a solid additional
year of node programming experience under my belt, I'd probably rewrite
everything from the interfaces to the implementation.

In my current job there's a strong possibility of us adopting a Node.js +
Kafka implementation, but not for at least a few months, so I wouldn't
expect to be back in the community to work on this for a little while.
 Also, I'm kind of waiting for 0.8 (hint hint ;-)