Kafka >> mail # user >> Proper use of ConsumerConnector

Re: Proper use of ConsumerConnector
“unless you have a good reason to load balance and manage offsets manually”

> In general one consumer connector consumes more than one partition.
> In client side, we want to get all partitions offset for any message, if
> crash happens(some message is fetched from kafka but the result is not
> flushed to disk)
> happens we can use offset info to rewind kafka consumer.
>
> Do you think this is a good reason to use SimpleConsumer rather than
> ConsumerConnector?
An alternative to using simpleconsumer in this use case is to use the
zookeeper consumer connector and turn off auto commit. After your consumer
process is done processing a batch of messages you can all commitOffsets -
the main caveat to be aware of is that if your consumer processes batches
very fast you would write to zookeeper that often - so in fact setting an
autocommit interval and being willing to deal with duplicates is almost
equivalent. KAFKA-657 would help I think - since once that API is available
you can store your offsets anywhere you like.

Joel