Kafka >> mail # user >> Questions on kafka leader selection

Questions on kafka leader selection
Hi Team,

Please help to understand following questing as we are planning to use
kafka 0.8 in our production,
1. We found the 'leader: -1' state, when the leader selection will happen
for such partitions? Does the partition data will be unavailable till that
time?

example:
topic: test1    partition: 0    leader: -1      replicas: 4,2,3 isr:
topic: test1    partition: 1    leader: 0       replicas: 0,3,4 isr: 0,4
topic: test1    partition: 2    leader: 1       replicas: 1,4,0 isr: 1,0,4

2. Do we need to restart the brokers to update the isr entries to remove
the unavailable brokers?

Thanks,
Yogesh Sangvikar