Kafka, mail # user - Re: Kafka and Zookeeper node removal from two nodes Kafka cluster - 2013-10-15, 23:16

Re: Kafka and Zookeeper node removal from two nodes Kafka cluster
That's a good question. Off the top of my head I don't remember any
fundamentally good reason why we don't allow it - apart from:
- broker registration paths are ephemeral so topic creation cannot
succeed when there are insufficient brokers available
- it may be confusing to some users to successfully create a topic and
allow its partition replicas to be assigned to brokers that are
unavailable

One can possibly argue that topic creation should not be permitted
with _any_ unavailable brokers since extended unavailability could
result in imbalanced partition distribution (when the unavailable
brokers are restored).

Anyway, unless I'm missing something obvious I think your point is
worth discussing further in a jira.

Joel