Kafka, mail # dev - Initializing fetch offsets

+
David Arthur 2013-02-21, 02:32
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-02-21, 05:13
Re: Initializing fetch offsets
David Arthur 2013-02-21, 13:04
Yes, I think that section of the protocol guide could be improved.
Specifically, it would be useful to explain what the " Time" and
"MaxNumberOfOffsets" parameters are used for, as well documenting these
two magic numbers (-1 and -2).

-David

On 2/21/13 12:13 AM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
> David,
>
> The API that you are looking for is OffsetRequest. If you pass in -2 as the
> value for Time, it will get you the earliest offset available for that
> partition. If you pass in -1, it will get you the latest offset.
>
> You can find more information about the OffsetRequest and OffsetResponse
> APIs here -
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/A+Guide+To+The+Kafka+Protocol#AGuideToTheKafkaProtocol-OffsetAPI
>
> Please let us know if that description can be improved.
>
> Thanks,
> Neha
>

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM, David Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Is there currently a way to get the latest offset (or close to the latest)
>> for a partition? Is this covered by the Offset API, and if so could someone
>> explain this API a bit?
>>
>> I'd like to write a consumer that can start from 0 (like unix cat) or
>> start from the most recent (like unix tail).
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -David

+
Colin Blower 2013-02-21, 16:54