Kafka >> mail # user >> Strategies for auto generating broker ID

+
Aniket Bhatnagar 2013-10-01, 10:52
+
Maxime Brugidou 2013-10-01, 13:04
+
Aniket Bhatnagar 2013-10-01, 14:08
Re: Strategies for auto generating broker ID
I'm in favor of doing this if someone is willing to work on it! I agree it
would really help with easy provisioning.

I filed a bug to discuss and track:

Some comments:
1. I'm not in favor of having a pluggable strategy, unless we are really
really sure this is an area where people are going to get a lot of value by
writing lots of plugins. I am not at all sure why you would want to retain
the current behavior if you had a good strategy for automatically
generating ids. Basically plugins are an evil we only want to accept when
either we don't understand the problem or the solutions have such extreme
tradeoffs that there is no single "good approach". Plugins cause problems
for upgrades, testing, documentation, user understandability, code
understandability, etc.
2. The node id can't be the host or port or anything tied to the physical
machine or its location on the network because you need to be able to
change these things. I recommend we just keep an integer.

-Jay
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Aniket Bhatnagar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> Right. It is currently java integer. However, as per previous thread, it
> seems possible to change it to a string. In that case, we can use instance
> IDs, IP addresses, custom ID generators, etc.
> How are you currently generating broker IDs from IP address? Chef script or
> custom shell script?
>

> On 1 October 2013 18:34, Maxime Brugidou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I think it currently is a java (signed) integer or maybe this was
> > zookeeper?
> > We are generating the id from IP address for now but this is not ideal
> (and
> > can cause integer overflow with java signed ints)
> > On Oct 1, 2013 12:52 PM, "Aniket Bhatnagar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to revive an older thread around auto generating broker
> ID.
> > As
> > > a AWS user, I would like Kafka to just use the instance's ID or
> > instance's
> > > IP or instance's internal domain (whichever is easier). This would
> mean I
> > > can easily clone from a AMI to launch kafka instances without having to
> > > worry about setting a unique broker ID. This also alows me to setup
> auto
> > > scaling.
> > >
> > > I realize 1 size may not fit all in this case. Other strategies that
> may
> > > work for other cloud providers are generate the UUID and persist it on
> > > disk, etc.
> > >
> > > What I propose is a way to define a a broker ID generation strategy in
> > the
> > > configuration file which points to a class file that is responsible for
> > > generating the ID. Is this something being already worked upon?

+
Guozhang Wang 2013-10-02, 16:23
+
Jay Kreps 2013-10-02, 16:53