Kafka >> mail # dev >> Does Kafka "message manager" tool (read messages from console, delete messages) exist?

+
Vladimir Tretyakov 2013-07-23, 12:22
+
Jun Rao 2013-07-24, 04:43
Re: Does Kafka "message manager" tool (read messages from console, delete messages) exist?
Hi Jun Rao and thanks for your answer.
Re 1: Will try to do it way you have described. As I understood
"getOffsetBefore"
returns offset for set of compressed messages. In my case it will mean that
my "from=timestamp_1" and "to=timestamp_2"  will work roughly (I will have
to double check timestamp for each message inside tool and decide fit this
message my criteria or not), right? Is there any chance to get API with
"honest" offset for particular time?

Re 2: Can I use https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-554 for
configuring "topic.log.roll.hours" on the fly? Should I restart Kafka after
changes in config by
KAFKA-554<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-554>?
How about "to=timestamp_2". With "topic.log.roll.hours" I can define only
one border for time range. What about second (right border on timeline)?

Thanks, Vladimir.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Jun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For 1, you can write a tool that uses our getOffsetBefore api and
> SimpleConsumer. The offset returned is at the log segment boundary. So it's
> not going to match the specified time precisely.
>
> For 2, you can configure a topic to be rolled by timestamp
> ("log.roll.hours" and "topic.log.roll.hours"). Then set the retention time
> accordingly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun
>

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Vladimir Tretyakov <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, we use Kafka (0.7.2 version) in our product as message delivery
> service
> > and message storage (our retention time 48h) system. Thanks a lot for
> > perfect tool/lib. Now we really need 2 additional features:
> > 1. Sometimes we need look at our messages we have in Kafka from command
> > line, for example:
> >
> > ~$ kafkaTool get topic=my_topic_name from=timestamp_1 to=timestamp_2 |
> grep
> > 'Exception'
> >
> > We need this feature because we want to have ability to see our "raw"
> > messages body.
> >
> > 2. Sometimes we have to delete messages older than given timestamp. Or in
> > other words we have to change offset for all consumers for given topic.
> > (But we don't like to work with offset because we know only timestamp we
> > like to move our consumers to). Example:
> >
> > ~$ kafkaTool purge topic=my_topic_name from=timestamp_1 to=timestamp_2
> >
> > We need this feature because we want to skip processing of some messages
> by
> > our regular consumers.
> >

> > Is these 2 features exist? If not, what is the best way to do this using
> > the existing APIs?
> >
> > According to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-260 there is
> plan
> > to add timestamp to message. Is it possible, or is it planned, to have
> > something like FetchRequest, but with "timestamp" as parameter instead of
> > "offset"?
> >
> > If this is currently not possible, should I open a JIRA issue?
> >
> > Best regards, Vladimir.

+
Jun Rao 2013-07-25, 15:13
+