Kafka, mail # user - Re: Anyone working on a Kafka book?

+
Jun Rao 2013-03-19, 16:20
+
S Ahmed 2013-03-19, 20:18
+
Chris Curtin 2013-03-19, 20:31
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-03-19, 21:29
+
Chris Curtin 2013-03-20, 19:39
+
Jun Rao 2013-03-21, 04:18
Re: Anyone working on a Kafka book?
Dragos Manolescu 2013-03-20, 18:38
Fantastic!

Who is the target audience for the book, 0.7.2 users migrating to 0.8 or
potential users of 0.8? Let me suggest a 2nd topic catering to the latter
audience: getting from a dev environment (as described in the quickstart
doc) to a production environment, with Zk/brokers/etc. deployed on
different nodes, including replication and failover. In my experience with
pitching Kafka inside 2 different companies engineers & decision makers
with no first hand experience with Kafka will have a hard time buying in
in absence of seeing the path all the way to production. In addition,
replication and management of failures would also cater to 0.7.2 users,
for whom these are new as well. Just a thought :)

-Dragos

On 3/19/13 2:28 PM, "Neha Narkhede" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>That's a great idea, Chris! How about picking the quickstart document
>?That
>is the most important information that users moving to 0.8 will need.
>
>Thanks,
>Neha
>

>On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Chris Curtin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Jun,
>>
>> I've been thinking for a while about how to contribute to the project
>>and
>> thought that working on some documentation for the website might be a
>>good
>> way. Do you have an outline of what you'd like the site to look like
>>that I
>> (AND OTHERS hint, hint) could pick a topic, write the article and submit
>> for you guys to review?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Jun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, David,
>> >
>> > At LinkedIn, committers are too busy to write a Kafka book right now.
>> > think this is a good idea to pursue. So, if you want to do it, we'd be
>> > happy to help. The only request that I have for you is while writing
>>the
>> > book, it would be good if you can use this opportunity to also help us
>> > improve the documentation of the site.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jun

>>-