Kafka >> mail # user >> are topics and partitions dynamic?

+
S Ahmed 2013-01-27, 20:24
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-01-27, 20:37
Re: are topics and partitions dynamic?
So from what I understand, a single broker will contain all the messages
for a given topic (and its partitions).  Who decides which broker will own
a particular topic?
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Neha Narkhede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> In Kafka 0.7, topics and partitions are dynamic in the sense that a
> partition is created when the broker receives the first message for that
> partition.
> In Kafka 0.8, there are 2 ways of creating a new topic -
> 1. Turn on auto.create.topics.enable option on the broker. When the broker
> receives the first message for a new topic, it creates that topic with
> num.partitions and default.replication.factor.
> 2. Use the admin command bin/kafka-create-topic.sh
>
> Thanks,
> Neha
>

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at the kafka server.properties that is in /config folder and
> > didn't find any reference to topics or partitions.
> >
> > Are topics and optionally partitions dynamic in nature or do they have to
> > be defined before starting the broker? (and consequently producers can't
> > send to a topic and partition that isn't predefined).

+
Jun Rao 2013-01-27, 23:50
+
Noel Golding 2013-05-23, 15:04