Kafka >> mail # user >> Metadata API returns localhost.localdomain for one of the brokers in EC2

Re: Metadata API returns localhost.localdomain for one of the brokers in EC2
Thanks Jun and David.

I think the FAQ mentions why it's not possible to connect to broker from
outside. In my case, all servers (producers and brokers) are in the same
VPC. Call to InetAddress.getLocalHost.getHostAddress should return an
internal IP to which producers should be able to connect. The issue seems
to be that the call to InetAddress.getLocalHost.getHostAddress returns
localhost.localdomain
and that too on just 1 broker. Any ideas on why that could be happening?

I can configure host.name property in broker config but its slightly
painful. I am curious to know what can cause
InetAddress.getLocalHost.getHostAddress
to return loopback addresses like localhost.localdomain so that other users
know why they really have to setup host.name in EC2 even if both producers
and consumers are in same VPC.