Kafka >> mail # dev >> Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers

Re: Kafka/Hadoop consumers and producers
> What installs all the kafka dependencies under /usr/share/java?
The debian/ work was done mostly by another WMF staffer.  We tried and tried to make sbt behave with debian standards, most importantly the one that requires that .debs can be created without needing to connect to the internet, aside from official apt repositories.

Many of the /usr/share/java dependencies are handled by apt.  Any that aren't available in an official apt somewhere have been manually added to the ext/ directory.

The sbt build system has been replaced with Make:
https://github.com/wikimedia/operations-debs-kafka/blob/debian/debian/patches/our-own-build-system.patch

You should be able to build a .deb by checking out the debian branch and running:

  git-buildpackage -uc -us

-Ao