Kafka, mail # user - Re: The future of 0.7 - 2013-01-15, 19:06

Wouter de Bie 2013-01-15, 17:08
Jun Rao 2013-01-15, 17:40
Neha Narkhede 2013-01-15, 17:44
Evan Chan 2013-01-15, 19:02
Re: The future of 0.7
Broadly, the strategy stays the same, except that the 0.8 broker will not
be able to serve requests coming from a pre-0.8 client.
So, the upgrade path will be and we will document this in detail soon -

1. Start a 0.8 Kafka cluster overlaid on the 0.6/0.7 hardware or on
separate hardware if you can spare
2. Start a migration tool to copy data from 0.7 to 0.8. Currently we don't
have migration tool support for 0.6 but it is very easy to add, so please
file a JIRA for this.
3. Move consumers to the 0.8 cluster (since it has all the data that your
0.6/0.7 cluster has)
4. Once all consumers have moved, start moving producers over to the 0.8
5. Stop and decommission the 0.6/0.7 Kafka cluster.