Kafka >> mail # user >> RE: message order, guarenteed?

+
S Ahmed 2013-06-10, 00:33
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-06-10, 12:37
Re: message order, guarenteed?
Simple example of how to take advantage of this behavior:

Suppose you're sending document updates through Kafka. If you use the
document ID as the message key and the default hash partitioner, the
updates for a given document will exist on the same partition and come
into the consumer in order.

On 6/10/13 8:37 AM, Neha Narkhede wrote:
> Kafka guarantees order per topic  partition per source client.
>
> Thanks,
> Neha
> On Jun 9, 2013 5:33 PM, "S Ahmed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I understand that there are no guarantees per say that a message may be a
>> duplicate (its the consumer's job to guarantee that), but when it comes to
>> message order, is kafka built in such a way that it is impossible to get
>> messages in the wrong order?
>>
>> Certain use cases might not be sensitive to order, but when order is very
>> important, is kafka the wrong tool for the job or is there a way to get
>> this requirement?

+
Philip OToole 2013-06-14, 15:02