Kafka >> mail # user >> producer encoder class api

+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-09-06, 16:50
Re: producer encoder class api
The idea here is that many serializers actually need some configuration
properties and without this there is no way to pass these in. We could try
to be a little more user friendly by looking for a constructor that takes
properties, and, if that doesn't exist looking for a no-arg constructor. If
this sounds reasonable it would be good to file a JIRA for it.

-Jay
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, it seems that if I want to set a custom serializer class on the
> producer (in 0.8), I have to use a class that includes a special
> constructor like:
>
> public class MyKafkaEncoder<MyType> implements Encoder<MyType> {
>   // This constructor is expected by the kafka producer, used by reflection
> *  public MyKafkaEncoder(VerifiableProperties props) {*
> *    // what can I do with this?*
> *  }*
>
>  @Override
>   public byte[] toBytes(MyType message) {
>     return message.toByteArray();
>   }
> }
>
> It seems odd that this would be a requirement when implementing an
> interface.  This seems not to have been the case in 0.7.
>
> What could my encoder class do with the VerifiableProperties?
>
> Also, in general, there are a set of classes under kafka.javaapi, but in
> order to do anything useful from java, one does have to use classes (such
> as Encoder), from outside the javaapi package.  I'm guessing ultimately,
> the idea would be to provide a java api that might include everything a
> client would need.
>
> Jason

+
Joel Koshy 2013-09-06, 18:01