Kafka >> mail # dev >> Re: Helping out

+
Jay Kreps 2013-06-24, 16:42
+
S Ahmed 2013-06-26, 00:44
Re: Helping out
I actually don't think quotas really needs to do cross-broker
communication. I think we can just enforce it at the topic-partition level
and have the leader do the check (even if the user expresses the quota at
the topic level we will just turn it into a per-partition limit by dividing
by the number of partitions). If any one is interested in this I would be
happy to help work through a design and help get it in.

-Jay
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quotas is a cool idea, is it going to do cross broker communication or it
> doesn't need to talk to other brokers?
>

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Jay Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Sam,
> >
> > That's great. I would be happy to act as a point of contact if any
> > questions come up or you need a reviewer for patches.
> >
> > We haven't had an official discussion of roadmap but trunk already has
> > support for keyed messages and log compaction and a cleanup of the log
> > code. I think the goal would be to make this release as small and
> > quick as possible with any bigger disruptive features going into 0.9.
> > Here are some ideas of things that I think would fit well:
> > 1. Any good housekeeping issues. 0.8 was a pretty major rewrite and
> > getting that done and stable required ignoring a lot of basic issues
> > that impact the out-of-the-box experience---good errors,
> > documentation, logging, etc. We haven't filed a lot of JIRAs for this,
> > but anything you see that falls under this umbrella would be a good
> > target. Doing a few of these is often a good way to learn the code
> > base.
> > 2. Quotas. Jonathan had proposed working on this, but I don't think he
> > ever got the time. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-656
> > 3. Phase 2 of this wiki:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Offset+Management
> >
> > Folks--any other ideas?
> >
> > -Jay
> >

> > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Sam Meder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > I now have roughly a day a week I can dedicate to working on Kafka, so
> > am looking for issues in the 0.8.1 batch that you think might be good
> > starting points. Input would be much appreciated.
> > >
> > > Speaking of issues, I think it would be good to either fix
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-946 for 0.8 or just drop the
> > code from the release.
> > >
> > > /Sam

+