Kafka >> mail # user >> Consumer group questions

Consumer group questions
This is in regards to consumer group consumption in 0.7.2.

Say we have 3 machines with 3 partitions in each topic totaling 9 partitions. Now if I create a consumer group with 9 threads on the same machine then all partitions will be read from. Now what happens if I start another 9 threads on a separate machine using the same consume group id? Will the topics be distributed across both machines or will it still be all read from the first process that spawned up the 9 threads?

In general, is it better to have 1 machine running 9 threads to read all partitions or 9 machines running 1 thread?

Is there a wiki for 0.7.2? I've been trying to work with (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Consumer+Group+Example) and it appears to be for 0.8

Thanks