Kafka, mail # dev - git workflow

+
Jay Kreps 2013-01-02, 21:45
+
Jun Rao 2013-01-03, 16:18
+
Joe Stein 2013-01-05, 04:35
+
Jay Kreps 2013-01-05, 05:30
+
Joe Stein 2013-01-05, 05:41
+
David Arthur 2013-01-05, 17:38
+
Joe Stein 2013-01-05, 18:43
+
Joe Stein 2013-01-05, 19:02
Re: git workflow
Joe Stein 2013-01-06, 05:36
ok with some more research today it seems the difference and issues I was
having was from the patch being made with

git diff vs git format-patch

with git diff (which is how the patch I was reviewing was made) you apply
doing "patch -p1 < patch"

no commits messages are preserved with git diff.  I think there are pros
and cons to this.

If folks make good commit messages then this is great however I prefer the
git diff patch myself from contribs because then I can commit with a
message for the JIRA ticket and the reviewer

thoughts on git diff vs git format-patch ?

I updated the wiki to deal with the error i encountered since it already
references format-patch I but think we should have some consensus for
contributors and how they should proceed and how we should too.

/*
Joe Stein
http://www.linkedin.com/in/charmalloc
*/