Kafka, mail # dev - Re: command line tools - 2014-03-05, 04:02

Re: command line tools
Personally I don't mind the current approach as it is discoverable and
works with tab completion.

I wouldn't be opposed to replacing kafka-run-class.sh with a generic kafka
script that handles the java and logging options and maintaining a human
friendly mapping for some of the class names so that e.g.
  ./kafka topics --list
  ./kafka console-producer --broker localhost:9092
would work as a short cut for some fully qualified name:
  ./kafka kafka.producer.ConsoleProducer
and
  ./kafka
would print a list of known commands. We would probably need a way to
customize memory settings for each command as we do now, though. We would
need some way to make this typo resistent (e.g. if you type a command wrong
you should get a reasonable error and not some big class not found stack
trace).

-Jay