Kafka, mail # user - Consumer throughput imbalance

+
Ian Friedman 2013-08-24, 16:59
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-08-25, 14:46
+
Ian Friedman 2013-08-25, 16:01
+
Mark 2013-08-25, 16:14
+
Ian Friedman 2013-08-25, 17:17
Re: Consumer throughput imbalance
Ian Friedman 2013-08-25, 17:24
Sorry I reread what I've written so far and found that it doesn't state the actual problem very well. Let me clarify once again:

The problem we're trying to solve is that we can't let messages go for unbounded amounts of time without getting processed, and it seems that something about what we're doing (which I suspect is the fact that consumers own several partitions but only consume from one of them at a time until it's caught up) is causing a small number of them to sit around for hours and hours. This is despite some consumers idling due to being fully caught up on the partitions they own. We've found that requeueing the oldest messages (consumers ignore messages that have already been processed) is fairly effective in getting them to go away, but I'm looking for a more stable solution.

--
Ian Friedman
On Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Ian Friedman wrote:

> When I said "some messages take longer than others" that may have been misleading. What I meant there is that the performance of the entire application is inconsistent, mostly due to pressure from other applications (mapreduce) on our HBase and MySQL backends. On top of that, some messages just contain more data. Now I suppose what you're suggesting is that I segment my messages by the average or expected time it takes the payloads to process, but I suspect what will happen if I do that is I will have several consumers doing nothing most of the time, and the rest of them backlogged inconsistently the same way they are now. The problem isn't so much the size of the payloads but the fact that we're seeing some messages, which i suspect are in partitions with lots of longer running processing tasks, sit around for hours without getting consumed. That's what I'm trying to solve.
>
> Is there any way to "add more consumers" without actually adding more consumer JVM processes? We've hit something of a saturation point for our MySQL database. Is this maybe where having multiple consumer threads would help? If so, given that I have a singular shared processing queue in each consumer, how would I leverage that to solve this problem?
>
> --
> Ian Friedman
>

> On Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Mark wrote:
>
> > I don't think it would matter as long as you separate the types of message in different topics. Then just add more consumers to the ones that are slow. Am I missing something?
> >
> > On Aug 25, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Ian Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])> wrote:
> >
> > > What if you don't know ahead of time how long a message will take to consume?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ian Friedman

+
Jay Kreps 2013-08-25, 19:12