Kafka, mail # user - Kafka 0.8 jmxtrans + puppet

Kafka 0.8 jmxtrans + puppet
Andrew Otto 2013-11-06, 14:16
Hi,

I just got jmxtrans set up with Kafka 0.8 over at Wikimedia.  We're using puppet, and the https://github.com/wikimedia/puppet-kafka module to install and set up Kafka.  This module now comes with a kafka::server::jmxtrans class which will automatically set up jmxtrans with some nice Kafka queries.

If you aren't using puppet, you can use the rendered example jmxtrans JSON  config here:

https://github.com/wikimedia/puppet-kafka/blob/master/kafka-jmxtrans.json.md

The exact queries will probably change as we get more operational experience and think of more things we want to monitor.

Hope this is useful to someone!

-Andrew Otto