Kafka >> mail # user >> Number of file handles increases indefinitely in producer if broker host is unresolvable

Re: Number of file handles increases indefinitely in producer if broker host is unresolvable
I can easily reproduce this with console producer,  If I run console
producer with right hostname and if broker is not running, the console
producer will exit after three tries. But If I run console producer with
unresolvable broker, it throws below exception and continues to wait for
user input, every time I enter new message, it opens socket and file handle
count keeps increasing..

Here is Exception in producer

ERROR fetching topic metadata for topics [Set(test-1378245487417)] from
broker [ArrayBuffer(id:0,host:localhost1,port:6667)] failed
(kafka.utils.Utils$)
kafka.common.KafkaException: fetching topic metadata for topics
[Set(test-1378245487417)] from broker
[ArrayBuffer(id:0,host:localhost1,port:6667)] failed
        at
kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:51)
        at
kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo.updateInfo(BrokerPartitionInfo.scala:82)
        at
kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler$$anonfun$handle$2.apply$mcV$sp(DefaultEventHandler.scala:79)
        at kafka.utils.Utils$.swallow(Utils.scala:186)
        at kafka.utils.Logging$class.swallowError(Logging.scala:105)
        at kafka.utils.Utils$.swallowError(Utils.scala:45)
        at
kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.handle(DefaultEventHandler.scala:79)
        at
kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.tryToHandle(ProducerSendThread.scala:104)
        at
kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:87)
        at
kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:67)
        at scala.collection.immutable.Stream.foreach(Stream.scala:526)
        at
kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.processEvents(ProducerSendThread.scala:66)
        at
kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.run(ProducerSendThread.scala:44)
Caused by: java.nio.channels.UnresolvedAddressException
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.checkAddress(Net.java:30)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(SocketChannelImpl.java:487)
        at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.connect(BlockingChannel.scala:59)
        at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.connect(SyncProducer.scala:151)
        at
kafka.producer.SyncProducer.getOrMakeConnection(SyncProducer.scala:166)
        at
kafka.producer.SyncProducer.kafka$producer$SyncProducer$$doSend(SyncProducer.scala:73)
        at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:117)
        at
kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:37)
        ... 12 more

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM, Neha Narkhede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Interesting. What errors/exceptions do you see in the producer logs?
>
> Thanks,
> Neha
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Rajasekar Elango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > We found a issue that if broker host is un resolvable, the number of file
> > handle keep increasing for every message we produce and eventually it
> uses
> > up all available files handles in operating system. If broker itself is
> not
> > running and broker host name is resolvable, open file handles count stays
> > flat.
> >
> > lsof output shows number of these open file handles continue to grow for
> > every message we produce.
> >
> >  java      19631    relango   81u     sock                0,6      0t0
> >  196966526 can't identify protocol
> >
> > Is this a bug is producer API..? What is best way to self protect our
> self
> > ?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,