Kafka, mail # dev - Re: Offset commit api - 2012-12-20, 21:31

Jun Rao 2012-12-18, 16:06
+
Jay Kreps 2012-12-18, 16:23
+
Jay Kreps 2012-12-20, 21:04
Re: Offset commit api
No particular objection, though in order to support atomic writes of
(offset, metadata), we will need to define a protocol for the ZooKeeper
payloads. Something like:

   OffsetPayload => Offset [Metadata]
   Metadata => length prefixed string

should suffice. Otherwise we would have to rely on the multi-write
mechanism to keep parallel znodes in sync (I generally don't like things
like this).

+1 for limiting the size (1kb sounds reasonable)