Kafka >> mail # user >> Increasing number of partitions in kafka-0.8.0-beta1

Re: Increasing number of partitions in kafka-0.8.0-beta1
> Here is what the comment for num.partitions in config file says:
>
> # The number of logical partitions *per topic per server.* More partitions
> allow greater parallelism
> # for consumption, but also mean more files.
>
> We found out that this comment is actually wrong, it only created 2
> partitions in spite of having a 10 node cluster.

Thanks for pointing out that. The KafkaConfig class and the
website config documentation link have the right description but the
sample server.properties needs to be updated. I'm guessing that doc
string was not updated since 0.7. Will patch that.

> The version we used, does not have the super cool AddPartitionTool. How do
> we increase number of partitions for topics in our existing cluster?

You will need to upgrade all your brokers to a more recent
version that has KAFKA-347 before you can use that tool.

Thanks,

Joel