Kafka >> mail # user >> changing broker hosts with 0.7.2

+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-03-19, 21:04
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-03-20, 02:07
+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-03-20, 06:26
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-03-20, 13:42
+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-03-20, 15:56
+
Neha Narkhede 2013-03-20, 16:02
+
Philip OToole 2013-03-20, 16:07
+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-03-20, 17:55
Re: changing broker hosts with 0.7.2
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Philip O'Toole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I think might be cool, would be to have a feature where by you can tell a
>> > broker to stop accepting new data produced to it, but still allow
>> consumers
>> > to consume from it.
>> >
>> > That way, you can roll out new brokers to a cluster, turn off producing
>> > the old nodes, then wait for the log retention period, and then remove
>> the
>> > old nodes from the cluster.
>> >
>> > Does that make sense?  Could it be easily done?
>>
>> Does to me. A way to do this is to place a load-balancer between your
>> consumers and brokers, allowing individual brokers to be taken out of
>> rotation for maintenance.
>

> Not sure I understand.  I need for a node to be taken out of the pool that
> producers produce to, but still need consumers consuming from all brokers,
> while we drain data from the brokers to be replaced.

Taking it out from behind the load-balancer between Producers and
Kafka means that Producers can no longer write to it. I said nothing
about disconnecting the *Consumers*. :-)

Philip

+
Jason Rosenberg 2013-03-20, 18:21
+