Kafka >> mail # dev >> Does Kafka "message manager" tool (read messages from console, delete messages) exist?

+
Vladimir Tretyakov 2013-07-23, 12:22
Re: Does Kafka "message manager" tool (read messages from console, delete messages) exist?
For 1, you can write a tool that uses our getOffsetBefore api and
SimpleConsumer. The offset returned is at the log segment boundary. So it's
not going to match the specified time precisely.

For 2, you can configure a topic to be rolled by timestamp
("log.roll.hours" and "topic.log.roll.hours"). Then set the retention time
accordingly.

Thanks,

Jun
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Vladimir Tretyakov <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, we use Kafka (0.7.2 version) in our product as message delivery service
> and message storage (our retention time 48h) system. Thanks a lot for
> perfect tool/lib. Now we really need 2 additional features:
> 1. Sometimes we need look at our messages we have in Kafka from command
> line, for example:
>
> ~$ kafkaTool get topic=my_topic_name from=timestamp_1 to=timestamp_2 | grep
> 'Exception'
>
> We need this feature because we want to have ability to see our "raw"
> messages body.
>
> 2. Sometimes we have to delete messages older than given timestamp. Or in
> other words we have to change offset for all consumers for given topic.
> (But we don't like to work with offset because we know only timestamp we
> like to move our consumers to). Example:
>
> ~$ kafkaTool purge topic=my_topic_name from=timestamp_1 to=timestamp_2
>
> We need this feature because we want to skip processing of some messages by
> our regular consumers.
>

> Is these 2 features exist? If not, what is the best way to do this using
> the existing APIs?
>
> According to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-260 there is plan
> to add timestamp to message. Is it possible, or is it planned, to have ...
> something like FetchRequest, but with "timestamp" as parameter instead of
> "offset"?
>
> If this is currently not possible, should I open a JIRA issue?
>
> Best regards, Vladimir.

+
Vladimir Tretyakov 2013-07-24, 06:34
+