Kafka >> mail # user >> Kafka producer performance test sending 0x0 byte messages

Kafka producer performance test sending 0x0 byte messages
Hi folks

I was doing some performance testing using the built in Kafka performance tester and it seems like it sends messages of size n bytes but with all bytes having the value 0x0. Is that correct? Reading the source seemed to indicate that too but I'm not a Scala developer so I could be wrong.

Would this affect the performance compared to a real world scenario? Obviously you will get very efficient compression rates but apart from that, is there likely to be optimisations carried out  anywhere between the JVM and the network card that won't hold for messages with non zero entropy?

We're going to test this against our production workload so it's not a big deal for us but I wondered if this could give others skewed results?

Daniel