Kafka >> mail # user >> How does Kafka decide which Consumer out of multiple Consumer clients to assign to a single topic partition

Re: How does Kafka decide which Consumer out of multiple Consumer clients to assign to a single topic partition
Hello Dennis,

The rebalance on each consumer works by first release their owned
partitions first (releasePartitionOwnership in
ZookeeperConsumerConnector.scala) and then compute the new ownership. Hence
in your scenario it is equally possible for each one of the two consumers
to own the partition in each rebalance process. And it is  not possible to
predict which consumer will claim the ownership of the partition.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang