Kafka, mail # user - Re: Producer.send questions - 2013-08-24, 16:54

Re: Producer.send questions
Jun,

Thanks, this is helpful.

So, can QueueFullException occur in either sync or async mode (or just
async mode)?

If there's a MessageSizeTooLargeException, is there any visibility of this
to the caller?  Or will it just be a FailedToSendMessageException.  I
gathered from one of your previous responses, that a
MessageSizeTooLargeException can be rectified with a smaller batch size.
 If so, does that imply that the message size limit is measured on the
broker by the cumulative size of the batch, and not of any one message?
 (makes sense if the broker doesn't unwrap a batch of messages before
storing on the server).

If I want to implement guaranteed delivery semantics, using the new
request.required.acks configuration, I need to expose retry logic beyond
that built into the producer?  And to do this, I need to indicate to the
caller whether it's possible to retry, or whether it will be fruitless.  I
suppose allowing message.max.send.retries to allow infinite retries (e.g.
by setting it to -1) might be useful.  But optionally, I'd like the caller
to be able to handle this retry logic itself.

Jason