Kafka, mail # user - Re: state of replication in 0.8 - 2013-01-20, 18:25

Re: state of replication in 0.8
Stan,

Quite a few people have been asking the same question. I created this wiki (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Changes+in+Kafka+0.8) to
document the significant changes in 0.8.

The replication design in 0.8 leveraged some ideas in the paper that you
mentioned, but is not the same. The key difference is that in 0.8, we
tolerate f-1 failures with f replicas. In contrast, typical Paxos-based
algorithms only tolerate f failures with 2*f + 1 replicas.

In terms of release schedule, we have seen some blocker issues when testing
0.8 on some production data at LinkedIn. Those blockers are being tracked
in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+replication+development.
We plan to release a beta version once those blockers are resolved,
hopefully in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Jun