Kafka >> mail # user >> Does ShutdownBroker returns meaningful return code

Re: Does ShutdownBroker returns meaningful return code
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Replication+tools
has more details. The ShutdownBroker tool does not return anything.
i.e., it does not exit with a System.exit code to pass back to a
shell. it only logs if controlled shutdown was complete or not. You
will need to configure the number of shutdown retries and retry
interval suitably for the controlled shutdown to complete. E.g., if
you have a very large number of partitions led by a broker it may take
more time to do a controlled shutdown on that broker (because leaders
need to be moved). (This yet another reason why we recommend that you
maintain even distribution of leaders - this can be accomplished by
running the PreferredReplicaLeaderElection command.)