Kafka >> mail # user >> are topics and partitions dynamic?

+
S Ahmed 2013-01-27, 20:24
Re: are topics and partitions dynamic?
In Kafka 0.7, topics and partitions are dynamic in the sense that a
partition is created when the broker receives the first message for that
partition.
In Kafka 0.8, there are 2 ways of creating a new topic -
1. Turn on auto.create.topics.enable option on the broker. When the broker
receives the first message for a new topic, it creates that topic with
num.partitions and default.replication.factor.
2. Use the admin command bin/kafka-create-topic.sh

Thanks,
Neha
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM, S Ahmed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm looking at the kafka server.properties that is in /config folder and
> didn't find any reference to topics or partitions.
>
> Are topics and optionally partitions dynamic in nature or do they have to
> be defined before starting the broker? (and consequently producers can't
> send to a topic and partition that isn't predefined).

+
S Ahmed 2013-01-27, 20:40
+
Jun Rao 2013-01-27, 23:50