Kafka >> mail # user >> Metrics: via Broker vs. Producer vs. Consumer

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-07-24, 14:29
Re: Metrics: via Broker vs. Producer vs. Consumer
Yeah all our monitoring is just of the local process (basically just a
counter exposed through yammer metrics which support jmx and other
outputs). If I understand what you want instead of having a counter that
tracks, say, produce requests per second for a single broker you want one
that covers the whole cluster. Obviously this would require collecting the
local count and aggregating across all the brokers.

Our assumption is that you already have a separate monitoring system which
can slurp all these up, aggregate them, graph them, and alert off them.
There are a number of open source thingies like this and I think most
bigger shops have something they use. Our assumption is that trying to do a
kafka-specific monitoring system wouldn't work for most people because they
are wedded to their current setup and just want to integrate with that.

I'm not sure how valid any of those assumptions actually are.

-Jay
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Operations#Operations-Monitoring
> and noticed there is no information about which metrics are available
> in which process/JVM/JMX.
>
> Some are available in the Broker process, but some are only available
> from the JVM running Consumer and some only from the JVM running
> Producer.  And yet some Producer and Consumer metrics are, I *believe*
> available from Broker's JMX.
>
> Would it be possible for somebody in the know to mark the metrics in
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Operations#Operations-Monitoring
> so one can tell where to get it?
>
> Also, why is it that the Broker process doesn't have *all* metrics,
> including Producer and Consumer one?  Is that because there can be N
> Brokers and each P or C talk to one Broker at a time and thus there is
> no single process/JMX that can know *all* stats for *all* Brokers and
> for *all* Ps and Cs?
>
> Thank you!
> Otis
> --